Wednesday, March 16, 2022

WHERE ARE THEY NOW? #14 ~ JILL PAQUETTE (DeZwaan)




This next artist in my, "Where Are They Now" series may well be the singly most talented artist I have ever had the privilege of working with.

As a freshman at Prairie College the word quickly got around about this amazing singer, songwriter, guitar and keyboard player named Jill Paquette. Classically trained Jill arrived on campus at 17 already an accomplished piano player. Soon after arriving Jill joined Matt Brouwer's, MNW (Monday Night Worship) and recorded 2 albums with them.

I will never forget the evening I asked Jill to come over to the house and we recorded a couple of demo / audition songs in my very crude basement studio. The first thing that blew me away was when I asked Jill who some of her influences were when she was growing up, she without reservation said, "Wendy Swanson".

Turns out Wendy had been on tour and Jill and her Mother had heard her and her Mom had bought her the CD and the songbook. I looked at Jill incredulously as I had produced two albums for Wendy back in 1987 and 1990 and to prove it Jill sang me one of Wendy's songs! The moment Jill opened her mouth to sing I knew what an incredible gift and talent she had.

It was an honour for me to be part of the team along with Eldon Winter and Phil Madeira to have produced Jill's debut record for Reunion Records in Nashville, TN. The album went on to win a JUNO award, 2 Western Canadian Music Awards, 3 VIBE Awards, nominated for 2 DOVE awards and Jill was named a, "Best New Artist" by Christianity Today.

Jill now lives in Colorado with her husband and family and in addition to her musical pursuits has opened an Etsy store.

I will post links in the comments to both Jill's website and her Etsy Store. Please check them out!


https://www.etsy.com/ca/shop/FeatherandPineFinds

No comments:

Post a Comment